Burying Time Capsule

Burying Time Capsule
1859 - 150th Anniversary of Parish - 2009 (photo by Scott & Debbie Travers )

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Christ Church Kildare Capes - History

Above:  The first Christ Church Kildare Capes
Christ Church started in 1850 with the burial of Hannah Travers on the family farm. The following year, 1851, fifteen Americans were washed ashore after the Yankee Gale, the worst storm in Maritime history, and they were also buried in the same area. Another four persons were also buried in the same area before the arrival of the first minister Rev. William Dyer in 1859. A small building was started on the site in 1857 but was not completed and consecrated until 1866 and became Christ Church, the first Anglican Church in West Prince.
This building was destroyed by fire on August 18, 1923. Some reports claim that it was struck by lightning.  Others claim it was an accident, a spark from one of the workman’s pipes.
Rumour has it that this church was not sitting due East & West and a great wind came and moved it to its present position – due East & West. If this happened it would have to have been during the great storm of 1873.
cf.  Church Bulletin, July 3rd, 2011

Above:  Christ Church - photo taken in June 2011 of the west view of church.

The present building was purchased in 1924 from the Methodist congregation in Montrose and was hauled across the Montrose River during the winter and then by horse and capstan to this site by well-known building hauler Spurgeon Jeffery.
The chancel and interior of the church were completed during 1931 & 1932 by the local members.
There are no local members now so the church is only open during the summer months to provide a service to the tourists and summer residents.
We have an ecumenical service of song and word every Sunday evening at 7 o’clock from mid June to mid September.
cf.  Church Bulletin, July 3rd, 2011

Above & Below: Monument to sailors lost in the 1851 Yankee Gale.
Below:  The Parishioners have lots of information for visitors - on the exterior beside the front door is a notice board which includes a map of the cemetery to assist visitors.
Below:  Rear Southeast corner of church.
Below: View of north side of church taken from the cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment